03 January 2011

Eggless Cookies!

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly
This cookie recipe is perfect for vegetarians as it doesn't use eggs or milk. However, don't think that just because I used the term "vegetarian" that us sweet toothed omnivores can't enjoy them as well :)


I've never been much of a zester, but lately I've been incorporating citrus zest in a lot of my sweeter dishes. I feel so stupid for not doing this earlier. Even if a recipe doesn't necessarily call for lemon/orange/lime flavor, the strong aromatic citrus flavor you get from any of the above adds brightness to the dish. It's awesome. Anyways, for this recipe I used orange zest. I was originally just going to make these plain vanilla with some cinnamon and nutmeg, but I saw the oranges and knew I had to use them.

NO EGGS???! I've heard of cookies made with no eggs, but I never really understood how and why that happens. With extensive research on my part (thank you, google lol) I learned that powdered sugar is made with corn starch and as we know corn starch is used as a thickening agent and this case also a binding agent replacing the eggs in the dough.

They turned out amazing and I hope that you try them sometime! Recipe follows..





- 1 stick of margarine room temperature
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp of orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract


In a bowl, wisk together butter until super soft and creamy. Using a sifter, sift in the dry ingredients then fold together until batter is formed. Add vanilla extract and orange zest and fold. Knead together until you can no longer see white flour.

Form into a disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Let it rest in refrigerator (or anywhere where it isn't too warm) for about 20 minutes.

About 15 minutes into rest period, preheat oven to 300 degrees F

Sidenote: Notice I didn't preheat first thing. Since the dough has to rest for quite a while, I figured I'd save some electricity and wait until it was closer to game time.

Bake for 30 minutes. The cookies will be pale in color, but you will see a light golden brown at the edges. When that happens, the cookies are done.

Take out, let cool and serve! ENJOY!!

4 comments:

  1. wow i would be so happy if you were my neighbour!! then again I might eat too much, I'll balloon up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Bombchell, I get that a lot actually. I'm trying to work on healthier dishes, so check back for updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking of a cookie for the week and remembered this recipe :) gonna make 'em tonite. they look deeeelish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great and easy too, love that you don't need eggs :) I am having my first give away, hop over and enter.
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogasphere. Please leave me a comment; I love reading all of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...