07 September 2010

Mom's Chicken Salad!

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly
My mom makes the most superb chicken salad ever. It may not be the healthiest, BUT it's so delicious I don't even care. To make myself feel better when I eat it, I serve it like this!....



....In cucumber boats!!!

I prefer to leave the skin ON, that way I get more fiber. But to some it may be a little tough to chew or whatever, so you can totally peel it off first. It'll still be good. I feel like if I add more greens to anything unhealthy, it cancels out the "unhealthy" part haha! If you want, you can use the Miracle Whip that uses olive oil and has less calories! There you go! But like I said, this salad is SOOOOOO delicious I don't care that it's bad for me. It's good for my soul and I love everything my mama makes. She's the best!


For her chicken salad recipe...






Sandra's Chicken Salad

- 1 whole package of elbow macaroni
- 4 C shredded rotisserie chicken (or more!!)
- 2 cans diced pineapple drained
- 2 large apples diced
- 2 carrots minced and blanched
- 2 celery sticks minced and blanched
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 whole bottle of miracle whip (not real mayo!)
- salt and pepper to taste

Boil the macaroni, drain and let cool (do not overcook or else it will be one big mooshy mess!!) Drain the canned pineapple VERY WELL or else salad will be watery and gross haha, make sure to do first thing because it will take a while. Prepare all the other veggies and fruits.

Shred chicken. I use rotisserie because it's already flavored and cooked. Makes life easier. OR you can boil fresh chicken, season it yourself, then shred the same way. Whatever floats your boat!

To blanch carrots and celery, set aside in a bowl already chopped, then poor boiling water into it. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then immediately take out, drain, and rinse with cold water.

Combine everything in a LARRRGE bowl (this will serve an army!), add the miracle whip, onion powder, salt and pepper, until everything is well coated. Refrigerate. Best eaten when chilled.


Serve in sandwiches, alone, or in cute cucumber subs! ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogasphere. Please leave me a comment; I love reading all of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...