06 July 2010

MEATBALL!

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly
So, I've been having this random urge to make Swedish Meatballs. It's been long overdue, but that urge has finally come to fruition recently. My feeble, but successful attempt at Alton Brown's recipe was quite surprisingly good considering it was my first time and my pantry didn't have all the ingredients so as always, I improvised as best as I could.

All I can say is, I still have yet to encounter a meatball recipe I DON'T like!  :)


For the recipe,


Swedish Meatballs inspired by Alton Brown's recipe


-2 slices fresh wheat bread
-1/4 cup milk
-1 tbsp sour cream (this is optional)
-3 tbsp butter, divided
-1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
-A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
-5 lbs ground beef
-2 large egg yolks
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/4 tsp ground Five Spice
-1/8 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 

Soak bread in milk and sour cream mixture for 3 minutes. Use first tablespoon of butter to sautee onions until slightly tender, but not over cooked. After the onions cool, combine them with meat along with wet ingredients. Add spices and lightly knead together until all ingredients are well incorporated.

Create little 1 1/2 inch balls.


Line frying pan with canola oil and second tablespoon of butter. Sear meatballs until slightly brown on all sides.

Transfer meatballs onto baking pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.

This will make 25-30 meatballs.



Gravy
-1 tbsp butter
-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-3 cups beef broth
-1/4 cup milk

Using the same pan used in searing meatballs, melt butter then add flour and whisk until creamy constistency, no lumps. Slowly add broth and milk while whisking until gravy forms.


Cherry Sauce

Traditionally in Sweden, these meatballs are served with Lingonberry jam/sauce, but since you can really only purchase them in Sweden and because I didn't have cranberries on hand which are in the same family as Lingonberry, I made a cherry sauce instead. It turned out pretty good!!

-1 1/2 C fresh cherries pitted and halved
-1/2 C blackberry wine
-1/2 C granulated sugar
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-pinch of salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan combine all the ingredients, let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until mixture thickens into a sauce.

*Keep an eye on this..I burned my first trial!! YUCK! haha



In addition to the gravy and sauce, I also served the meatballs with a side of mashed potatoes and just a regular garden salad. 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogasphere. Please leave me a comment; I love reading all of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...