Apple Crisp Moments
a haiku by Andrea V
Crunchy, sweet topping...
Autumn's cure for Winter blues
I'll save you a piece.
Let's be honest, any type of dessert/snack right out of the oven is muy perfecto during these cold winter months. Apple crisp, just happens to be a personal favorite. Speaking of cold months, it seems the snow has been actively trying to avoid the Chicago area, but like a lost puppy or kitten, eventually finds its way back home at least for little bits at a time. I'm not complaining. As much as I LOVE the snow, I have to say, it's quite a nice change of pace actually being able to enjoy it instead of trying to survive it :)
The Apple Crisp (or any crisp) really is the ultimate idealist's dessert, in that it tastes like a sinful act of gluttony, but feels like a light sweet harmless snack and with more or less only about 200 calories per serving, I'd say the latter rings most true :)
I make my apple crisp with a thicker oat topping. If you want this even more healthy, then just lessen the topping.
- 2 or 3 medium sized Granny Smith apples sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine chilled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, start to cook apples, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and corn starch. Stir until sauce starts to thicken. Pour into baking dish. Set aside.
- For topping: Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, rest of brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and add a pinch of salt. Cut in cubed butter (using fork or fingers). Make sure butter is well incorporated in the dry mixture.
- Using a tablespoon at a time, add hot water while mixing until doughy paste is formed.
- Place dollops of the dough over the apples. Make sure apples are evenly topped.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes or until apples are bubbly and topping is a nice golden brown.
For the sake of being random, I present to you, "La Fway"
hahahahahahaha, thank you inter-webs for this majestic piece of art.
Get Your Feast On!