28 October 2012

PB & P - Yucky or Yummy

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

P is for PICKLE!!!



Intrigue. I came across an article in the New York Times where the author ponders over the sandwich's cult following and why some....most people he's encountered including well noted foodies and critics are afraid to even try it (foodie, huh? :p). Apparently back in the 1930's and 40's during the Great Depression, many restaurants had this on their menu. He also mentions that his grandfather was the one that introduced this to him as a child and grew up with it being just a normal snack. He goes on to list examples of other unlikely pairings with peanut butter that receive praise like Elvis's Peanut Butter, Banana, and Bacon Sandwich, Hemingway's Peanut Butter, Olives, and Onions sandwich (yuck!), etc. but no love for the pickle. He did come across 1 or 2 others who enjoyed the snack, he even mentioned how they "geeked" out together hehe.

Curiosity. I decided to try this myself. The article says that butter pickles are "sublime" in this sandwich. I used what I had, Vlasic Kosher Dill, a more sharp briny flavor. Now, don't judge me. I was so prepared to gag and spit it out, but I found myself scarfing it down and onto another sandwich lol.



Yummy. I say, try it for yourself whether you think you'll hate it or not. It's one of those things where you're going to always wonder lol. You can always opt for a sweeter variety of pickle to make it easier.

But I tell ya, I feel what the author is saying. I've mentioned this to my whole family and I've gotten the same reaction: the universal face for "YUCK", a flat out "NO"/"No, thanks"/"No, that's okay"/"EW", and a turn/walk away.........in that order too! :D




As Stephen King always says, 
"Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back."
  *sigh*


 If you decide to try this, let me know what you think!! Yucky or yummy?
 For now I'll geek out by myself :)


#foreveralone

Get Your Feast On!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...