20 February 2012

Failed Success

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly



Preface. I originally had intended on making authentic Filipino Empanadas as requested by my mom. Running low on vegetable oil, I decided to replace some of the all-purpose flour in the recipe with corn flour since I knew it would cook faster and react better to shallow oil. Plus, I figured it wouldn't be too noticeable *facepalm*. 

Fail. They don't really taste or look like Filipino Empanadas rendering my original plan as pending (Maybe I should've titled this post, "Pending Success" lol). 

Success.They tasted delicious! Even though there was a dominant taste of the masa harina more reminiscent of a Latin style empanada, the sweetness of the sugar in the dough and raisins in the filling gave it that Filipino flair that's still hard to miss :)


If you're still interested in how I made these,
Latin & Filipino Fusion Empanadas
Yields: 2 dozen

Dough
- 2 1/2 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 C Masa Harina (corn flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt (roughly 1/8 tsp)
- 1 C warm water (may substitute w/ pork/beef/chicken broth)
- 1/4 C vegatable oil

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until dough starts to form a ball. Continue kneading with hands until smooth.

Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 10-15 minutes.

 Filling
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 C potato cubed
- 1 pack of raisins
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (for flavor)
- salt & pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, saute all the ingredients until fully cooked. Make sure to season well. Set aside.

Assembly

Heat up about 1-2 inches of oil in a deep skillet over medium/high heat.
Flour work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough into thin discs (about 3 in diameter)

Place a heaping teaspoon of filling into center of discs. Line edges with water. Fold over forming crescent shapes. Crimp edges.

Place each empanada into hot oil for 2-3 mins on each side or until golden brown. Be careful not to let it burn! Enjoy!

Feast On!
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. A lovely, interesting blend - I guess Filipino cuisine is heavily influenced by the Portuguese, so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so yummmmy post:D
    please visit me in free time:)
    http://mesmerize87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogasphere. Please leave me a comment; I love reading all of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...