16 June 2010

I heart mango salsa!

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly
One of my favorite things to make is "pico de gallo", which in spanish means "rooster's beak" (don't ask me why it got that name because I have no idea haha!) and it's basically a fresh salsa/condiment made of finely chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, seasoned with salt, pepper, splash of lime juice. Depending on what you like, you can add other ingredients to that like avocados, chiles, etc. I love mangoes and especially now that it's summer, mangoes are very much in season. I prefer to use Manila mangoes for this dish in particular because it's a little more firm than Mexican mangoes and is easier to chop into fine little cubes. If you only have Mexican mangoes, it'll work fine, just make sure you use just before it gets ripe. I like to eat it with with pretty much anything: tortilla chips or as a side with grilled fish or chicken. It's so simple, yet extremely delicious and versatile and that's why I love it so much.



For home made tortila chips, I quartered some corn tortillas into little triangles and deep fried them in canola oil for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. I salt at the end right when I take it out of the frier so that it has something to stick to and can really flavor the chips. Corn tortillas have more flavor then flour tortillas, which is why it's my favorite to use.


peace&love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogasphere. Please leave me a comment; I love reading all of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...