22 February 2010

Spinach & Potato Pierogies

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly
Ever since I tried pierogies for the first time at a friend's house, I knew it was a recipe I definitely had to learn. These are my take on Polish Pierogies. Some of the ingredients I didn't have in stock, like cabbage so instead I used some baby spinach. Also we're running low on sour cream, so I combined the little bit we have with some cottage cheese. The end result was better than I would've expected and super delicious! 

 


Sidenote: The recipe below is written with the changes I made not the original ingredients


Dough.
- 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 C of warm water (I just used the potato water)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp cottage cheese
- pinch of salt

Combine wet ingredients first then slowly add dry ingredients until dough forms. Knead into a smooth ball and refrigerate.


Filling
- 4 potatoes
- 2 medium yellow onions (or 1 large) finely chopped
- 1 garlic minced
- 1 C of spinach (after it's wilted)
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 C of sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Green onions for garnish

Rough chop the potatoes and boil. Meanwhile saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add spinach and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg until spinach is semi wilted. Drain and smash potatoes (save water for later) then add the spinach mixture to potatoes and combine. Add a little bit of olive oil for flavor and salt to taste. If potatoes are too dry, you can add a little bit of the potato water to make it more creamy.


Assemble & Cook!
Take dough out of refrigerator and roll flat. Cut out 3-4 inch diameter discs. Fill each disc with 1 tsp of filling (just eyeball how much can fit in disc) fold into dumpling shape (get creative!!)

Boil for 15 minutes or until dough is soft or bake in the oven with homemade cream sauce and olive oil for 30 minutes.

optional: Fry pierogies in butter for a brown crispy outer layer.


ENJOY!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delish! My son love pierogies, so I will be making these this weekend!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Peg! thank you so much. Yes, Pierogies are my favorite too, so yummy. Let me know if you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the blogasphere. Please leave me a comment; I love reading all of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...