This salad is pretty amazing as a side to any meal this summer, but is substantial enough to eat on its own! I like the blend of sweet flavors from the corn and bell pepper, heartiness from the beans, freshness from the greens, as well as the acidity from the lime juice that packs a punch right through the warm, rich spices of cumin and chilli.
Bean and Corn Summer Salad
- 1 Cup sweet corn
- 1 Can (1 cup) red beans
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 2 handfuls mixed greens
- 3 key limes juiced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam and cook corn.
- Remove kernels by holding ear of corn upright with larger base on your surface and running a knife down the sides. Continue on all sides.
- Chop all the vegetables into a bowl.
- Mix together olive oil and spices to create dressing.
- Toss into salad until everything is evenly coated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For a Mexican inspired twist substitute black beans, cilantro, and some jalapeno peppers for a nice kick!
A heat wave is in the horizon for a lot of people out East and it will be traveling into the Midwest. Stay cool and hydrated! :)
Get Your Feast On!