24 September 2012

Torta! Filipino Omelette

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly




 I love this dish for many reasons. It's easy and quick to make. You can switch up the ingredients depending on what you like: meats, vegetables, cheese, spices, etc. (I guess you can do that with pretty much all dishes hehe), and it brings back memories everytime I eat it. Since I usually have a sweet breakfast palette i.e. cereal, cinnamon/vanilla oatmeal, fruits, yogurt, etc. I prefer eating this for lunch, brunch, or dinner.

I first tasted this as a child when my parents would make them for us kids. They usually make this with onions and tomatoes, potatoes, or with eggplant. My favorite is Talong (the eggplant version), but I still have to learn how to make it as good as they do. I will share with you my parents recipe maybe in the future :)

In this version, I used tomatoes, potatoes, kale, topped off with mozzarella and basil. I also added some turmeric for color and flavor as well as its healthy benefits and cayenne pepper for some heat because I love spicy foods. Torta is delicious on its own or as a side.

Since I was young, I love to eat torta with banana ketchup. It tastes especially good with the potatoes. It gives it that extra punch of flavor.

I hope you will enjoy this recipe and try it sometime! If you do try it, please let me know!




Tortang Kamatis, Patatas, at Kale (Filipino Omelette)


Ingredients
  • 6 medium/large eggs
  • 2 tbsp water or milk
  • 1 cup (roughly 3 medium sized) tomatoes diced
  • 1 1/2 cup (roughly 6 or 7 medium sized) red potatoes diced
  • 1 cup (roughly 1/2 a bundle) fresh kale chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
  • 1 pinch black pepper (or to taste)
  • handful grated mozzarella cheese
  • handful fresh basil leaves 

Cooking Directions
  1. In a bowl, whisk together egg and water. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. In a frying pan or skillet over medium-high flame, heat up a few tablespoons of cooking oil or butter.
  3. Saute potatoes and kale until tender. Add tomatoes last and cook until softened. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and turmeric.
  4. Place vegetables in center of the pan and poor whisked eggs over top.
  5. With spatula/wooden spoon, slowly shift vegetables from center outwards, evenly spreading vegetables throughout egg as it solidifies.
  6. When veggies are all spread out, leave it alone until bottom is completely cooked.
  7. Cover skillet or pan and let top cook through over medium flame. Add cheese and basil and continue to cook. (You can also speed this up by placing underneath broiler. Just make sure your pan has metal handle if not wrap it in foil)
  8. Top should be golden brown.


Get Your Feast On!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...